Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Chaplin's First Visit to Chardon High School

Chaplin continued his busy schedule of meeting people and other dogs while going to various places this week! Monday, we ran some more errands together. He's enjoyed repeat visits to Costco, Home Depot and Tractor Supply while going to the bank, Half Price Bookstore and a convenience store for the first time! I am amazed at how much attention he attracts but he loves it all and I love hearing about other people's Labradors, Pointers, or other beloved dogs!

Yesterday, Chaplin and I went to Chardon High School to visit the staff and administrators there before they left for their summer break! He was a big hit! He got a toy and a couple treats, was held by everyone and had two different people take him outside for me. One of the Vice Principals got down on the floor and played with him and his toy! All in all, Chaplin had an absolutely wonderful visit! 

On our way home, we drove out to Chaplin (and Hardy's) breeder to pick up his paperwork. Unfortunately, no one was home but it gave Chaplin more time riding in the van. He is doing that beautifully (and quietly) now in his van crate (which is a size smaller than his house crate) and I am very thankful that he doesn't get car sick or anxious!


Last night was Chaplin's second puppy class at CABTC. We gave ourselves almost an hour to make the 30 minute trip but unfortunately, due to a couple accidents on the highways along our drive, it took us about an hour and a half to get to the training hall. Our instructor got there right before we did but we missed the social/play time. We reviewed the sit, down, and fold back down (from a stand). We started sit stay and "with me", the beginning of loose leash walking. Chaplin did a great job and this week, we'll practice trading a toy for a treat. I predict that our problem is going to be convincing Chaplin to be interested in anything else, including a toy if he knows I have food! 

As I've mentioned before, he is an extremely food motivated little guy! He will shriek while everyone's food is being prepared so we are going through the painstaking process of stopping preparations until he settles and quiets; starting up again; stopping again etc. It's better if he isn't in his pen although he still leaps and acts like a little fool but he will sit and wait until he just can't contain himself any longer! He is doing a great job of sitting and waiting while his food is being put down, however. 

This morning, I had an infusion so I was away from him for the first time - about 3 hours total. Chaplin did just fine but I found it pretty painful! Funny how quickly I've gotten used to being around the little guy!

This afternoon, we took Chaplin out to his breeder, Donna's place. We took him in and it was so cool to see him with all the adult Labradors who live in the house. There are breeding males, breeding females and spayed females. He just wandered around with them, got warned a couple times when he got too close to someone's toy but everyone did beautifully! 

This evening, the boys came to my classes with us. Chaplin was terrific! He came out to watch some and spent the rest of the time chilling in his crate! He really continues to be a pretty remarkable little guy!

When we got home, Hardy proved once again that he is going to be Chaplin's puppy raiser! They had a great time playing together!





I just finished registering Chaplin with AKC on-line. Donna and I am co-owning him and his registered name is Ridge View's Charlie Chaplin. She wanted to make him the #7 puppy in the litter due to a superstition she has and that was just fine with me. I'm honored that she wants to keep ownership in him and very grateful that she let me have the puppy she wanted to keep for herself. I also found out that his daddy, Magic is 8 years old now and Donna hasn't kept any of his sons yet. She was going to keep Chaplin but she let me take him home anyway. I find that pretty remarkable and I am extremely grateful for her generosity! Thanks, Donna!

No comments:

Post a Comment